Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2016

Sail Away with Dapper Denim PP298

Hi friends, I'm back after a little bloggy break to celebrate my birthday last weekend.  Big thank you to my Paper Players teammies who showered me with birthday cards--you gals are the best!  Today, our very own Crafty Claire has a perfect theme challenge for this time of year!
With this challenge, it means that I actually have a father's day card done EARLY--wow!  Since making this card, I've kinda been hooked on watercoloring and wanted to do another one for today's card.  
This is a long ago retired stamp called Sail Away that I still love.  I knew it would be perfect not only for my water color background but also for my father-in-law who makes his home on the shores of Lake Michigan.  The background was created with several colors to help achieve depth in the coloring.  I started with lighter shades of Soft Sky and Daffodil Delight for the water and sky.  From there I layered in additional shades of blue to give depth and a wavy look.  I brushed on Marina Mist, Pool Party and my new In Color love, Dapper Denim.
In the sky I layered on Crushed Curry, Peekaboo Peach and lastly a light wash of Blushing Bride.  The sentiment is from the new set, Thoughtful Banners which has nearly every conceivable combination of words you would want on a card...and it's photopolymer (clear)....and it has a coordinating punch!
When I had the main panel completed and I went to attach it to the Dapper Denim base, I thought the base looked too plain.  I didn't want a lot of layers so I did some stampin instead.  I used a stamp from Timeless Textures in Dapper Denim all the way around the edge of the front.  I thought it gave some interest to the card and almost looks like splashing water.

That's it for my card today--I hope you like it!  Be sure to pop over to The Paper Players and check out the rest of the Design Team inspiration.  We hope you will join in the fun before our challenge closes on Friday, June 10th at Noon (PST).  Thanks for stopping by!

The Paper Players Design Team

Photobucket

9 comments:

Marsha Reed said...

Love this watercolor, Nance! I have so much practicing to do to have anything turn out this well. I love to sail but it's been sometime since I have done so.

Nancy said...

Fabulous looking card, love your water coloring, you're gonna have to show me in person how to achieve such professional looks! Your FIL will like the card a lot.

Claire Broadwater said...

Nance, this is gorgeous! I LOVE the watercolored background you created! I see why you kept that stamp. It is just perfect! Your FIL will cherish this very special card made with love! Thank you for making my theme shine! XXX

Linda Callahan said...

Wow this is a work of art! Your watercoloring is fabulous! I am hopeless at it! And I have always loved this sailboat image! Beautiful card!

LeAnne said...

This is wonderful! You have created a stunning scene and made it look soooooo easy! I am still struggling with making my watercoloring look "watery", LOL! I definitely need more practice to come up to your standard! Just beautiful!

laurie said...

Wow..I love the layers you achieved with watercolor..awesome shading. I have always liked this set, and how you used it here was such a great idea. Love it!

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Nance this is a great Daddy Day card and your water coloring is fantastic! hugs

Colleen Begley said...

Very pretty water colored card, Nance. I almost used this (or a very similar) stamp. Your design looks so serene and relaxing.

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

This is a lovely card Nance - your combination of colours provide such an atmospheric and realistic-looking scene. I'm sure your father-in-law will love it!